Time: 2 Hours; Marks: 40
1. Present status of poultry products technology in India and its scope for expansion and future development. Structure, chemistry, per capita consumption of poultry and egg in India and abroad including changing consumer attitude towards these items. Egg and poultry meat as a source of quality animal protein. Sources of contamination of egg. and its products and its prevention.
2. Egg quality and its maintenance. Importance of egg quality studies and techniques available to evaluate the same Factors responsible for deterioration of egg quality. Microbial spoilage of eggs. Methods of preservation of shell eggs.
3. Handing, collection, grading, packaging and storage of eggs. Organisations and operation of cold stores for holding shell eggs and its products.
Functional properties of eggs. Pasteurization, freezing and dehydration of egg products, including their ackaging and storage. Principles and techniques of manufacture of egg powder, albumen flakes, yolk granules and other edible egg products. Industrial use of egg and egg products. National and international standards for egg and egg products, Microbial spoilage of eggs.
4. Principles of dressing poultry including chilling, packing and labelling. Meat yield, meat cutting and factors influencing meat yield- comparative evaluation of various types of avian species used in India for purposes of meat. Different methods of preservation of poultry meat- chilling, freezing, curing, smoking, dehydration and canning. Microbial spoilage of poultry meat and its prevention.
5. Inspection, grading and standardization of dressed poultry. Fundamentals and principles of further processed poultry products. Specifications and regulations relating to poultry products offered for sale Sanitation in poultry processing plant and egg breaking unit. Selection of types of detergents and sanitizers. Sampling technique and quality control of egg and poultry products. Packaging transportation and marketing of egg and poultry products.