Time: 3 Hours; Marks: 60
Unit-1: Mail and Document Handling (10)
- Meaning & Importance of Mail, Centralization and Decentralization of Correspondence.
- Handling Inward and Outward Mail.
- Mail room Equipment – sorting table, rack, Letter opening machine, Postal Franking Machine, Mailing.
- Scale, Post Office Guide.
- Services rendered by Postal Department – Registered, Ordinary, Insured, Business Reply Card, Certificate of Posting, Speed Post, Post Bag, Post Box, Telegrams.
Unit-2: Filing and Indexing (10)
- Meaning and Importance of Filing.
- Essentials of good filing system.
- Classification of Files.
- Centralized and Decentralized system of filing.
- Modern methods of filing: Horizontal, Vertical, Suspension and Lateral.
- Weeding of old records.
- Meaning, importance and types of indexing.
Unit-3: Office Machines (10)
- Advantages and disadvantages of mechanization.
- Factors in selecting office machines.
- Different types of machines: Typewriter, Stencil, Duplicator, Copy Printer, Photocopier, Dictaphone, Cash Register, Note Sorting and Counting Machine, Time Recorder, CCTV, Laptop, Answering Machine, Computer, Mobile.
Unit-4: Office Communication (20)
- (4.1) Need and Importance of Communication. Oral Communication: Telephone Etiquettes, Noting of telephone message, Handling telephonic calls, phonograms, use of telephone directories and yellow pages, EPABX system.
- (4.2) Written Communication.
- Business Correspondence. Essentials of Business Correspondence. Structure of Business letter. Types of business letter – Enquiry, Quotation, Placing an order, Payment, Complaints and Adjustments.
- (4.3) Electronic Communication. Fax (Facsimile), E-mail and Internet.
Unit-5: Meetings (10)
- Meaning and requisites of a valid meeting.
- Drafting of Notice, Agenda and Minutes of Meetings.
- Terms used in the conduct of meeting-quorum, proxy, adjournment, motion, amendment and resolution, Casting vote, Poll.
- Secretarial duties before, during and after a meeting.