Multi Skill Foundation Course (MSFC) Class 09 Syllabus
The course is divided into four modules: Workshop & Engineering Techniques, Energy & Environment, Gardening, Nursery and Agriculture Techniques, Food Processing Techniques.
Part B: Vocational Skills
- Unit 1: Workshop and Engineering Techniques
- Unit 2: Energy and Environment
- Unit 3: Gardening, Nursery & Agriculture Techniques
- Unit 4: Food Processing Techniques
Unit 1 - Workshop & Engineering
Carry out measurement using instruments such as meter tape, Vernier caliper, and screw gauge, spring balance.
- Describe the reason of selecting particular measuring instrument for certain task.
Recognize basic workshop tools and equipment and demonstrate their safe use
- Describe the main features and purpose of workshop tools and equipment like screw driver, hammer, chisel, saw, spanners, wrench, etc.
- Describe the safety precautions to be followed while using the tools.
Prepare a simple wooden object like pad for writing/ newspaper holder, display board, stool, electric board etc.
- Describe advantages and disadvantages of wood
- Describe methods to prevent pest attack on wood
Prepare a "Garbage Scoop" or “GI Sheet Box” (or any other article of need viz funnel, electric meter box, rain gauge) with GI sheet using soldering method
- Describe safety precautions to be followed while preparing the article
Carry out drilling of MS flat, Threading and tapping on a MS rod.
- Describe use of thread
- Describe safety precautions to be followed while drilling
Make any one of the following objects: Shoe stand, Candle stand, Hanger, Garbage collector, Tin box, Bangle stand using T-fillet joint, Open corner joint, Single V-butt joint
- Describe safety precautions for making object
- Describe the various types of material that can be used for making objects
Identify building materials and describe their uses. Also identify tools required in construction work
- Describe various type of building materials and its applications (like iron, wood, aluminum, cement, sand, concrete, granite, marble, paint, chemicals, stone, cement composites, glass, plastics etc.)
- Identify various types of construction tools and equipment and their purpose.
Identify the various types of walls
- Describe the chief characteristics of various types of walls (partition walls, exterior boundary walls, separation walls, retaining walls, shared walls, portable walls, dry stone walls, etc.)
Arrange bricks in different types of bond
- Describe different types of bond and their application
- Describe safety precautions while handling and laying of the brick
Make a simple pipe line by using plumbing accessories. Make sure that there is at least one joint.
- Describe safety precautions while using piping material
- Describe various components of plumbing accessories such as elbow bend, coupling, cock, primer, connector, etc.
Unit 2 - Energy & Environment
Identify electrical tools and equipment, their usage and the safety measures to be taken while using them
- Read the symbols and describe their usage
- Describe the purpose of symbols
- Describe health and safety risks and procedures involved in the use of electrical tools, equipment and materials
Identify the various types of wire, cable and switches
- State the purpose of different types of wire, cable and switches.
Demonstrate the use of Standard/ American wire gauge
- Describe the use of Standard/ American wire gauge
Perform various types of joints used for joining electrical wires
- Recognize the type of joints
- Describe the purpose of using the following types of joint:
- Simple Twist Joint
- Straight Joint
Prepare a simple electrical circuit
- Explain the meaning of various terms used in simple circuit such as electrical potential difference/ voltage, conductive path, electrical resistance potential difference, transistor, conventional current, direct current, capacitor, attractive current, ohm’s law, ohm’s etc.
- Describe the purpose of simple circuit
Demonstrate staircase wiring
- Describe the factors to be considered for planning and executing staircase wiring
- Identify the tools and materials to be used for staircase wiring
Demonstrate godown wiring
- Describe the factors to be considered for planning and executing godown wiring
- Identify the tools and materials to be used for staircase wiring
- Explain the purpose of earthing
- Describe the materials used for earthing
- Describe the precautions to be taken while earthing
- Describe the meaning of good earthing
Demonstrate fuse fitting
- Determine principle of fuse tripping
- Describe different types of fuse wires
Recognize the main features of Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB)
- Describe the purpose of MCB
- Describe the main features of MCB
- Describe safety factors involved in MCB
Demonstrate soldering of basic electronics components using soldering iron
- Described purpose of soldering
- Describe safely factors involved in soldering
- Describe qualities of good soldering joint
Maintain lead acid batteries, Measuring its specific gravity
- Describe various types of batteries and its comparison
- Describe what is “specific gravity” and why is it important?
Calculate monthly electricity unit consumption of a family using combination of lighting and kitchen equipment (blub, tubes, mixer, water heater etc.)
- Demonstrate knowledge of electricity saving measures.
- Describe the unit of electricity and method to measure the consumption
Describe the advantages of different lighting solutions.
- Describe the different types of lights, their advantages and disadvantages.
- Describe the benefits of using LED bulb
- Estimate the cost
Recognize the various features of and describe the working principle of soak pit
- Explain the purpose and working principle of soak pit
- Describe advantages and disadvantages of soak pit
- Describe the applications of soak pit
Identify the various types of garbage and explain the general procedures adopted for disposal of garbage in cities and rural areas
- Describe the various types of garbage and methods used for their disposal
- Explain the purpose of garbage separation and its processing
- State the various precautions to be taken when separating and processing garbage for disposal
Unit 3 - Gardening, Nursery & Agriculture Techniques (Part A)
To learn to prepare land, or filling of pot
To learn to take one crop using agriculture tools and standard agri-practices.
- To describe steps taken in taking one crop.
- To describe principles behind the basic agricultural procedures.
Calculate the amount of seed/plants for the area
- Describe the procedure for calculating the amount of seed/plant material for an area
Demonstrate to treating of seeds with traditional method/ biological agents/ chemicals/ fertilizers
- Describe precautions to be taken when selecting seeds
- Describe advantages of seed treatment.
Perform planting of seeds and intercultural operations (weeding, fertilizer application, mulching etc.)
- Describe the uses of various tools and equipment in intercultural operations (weeding, fertilizer application, mulching etc.)
Prepare vermin composting and vermin wash
- Describe use & advantages of vermin compost and vermin wash.
Prepare organic pesticide formulation.
- Describe procedure to make organic pesticide formulation.
- Advantages of using organic pesticide.
Unit 3 - Gardening, Nursery & Agriculture Techniques (Part B)
Determine the age of animals
- Describe the methods of determining age of animals
- Describe advantages of knowing age of the animal.
Determine the weight of animals to estimate feed requirement
- Perform and describe the method of determining weight of animals and estimating feed requirement
Understand different diseases of domesticized animals
- Describe the different types of diseases observed in domesticized animals
- Methods of identification of diseases
Determine ability to estimate feed requirement for animals
- Describe the method of determining the quantity of feed requirement of different types of animals.
- Describe the different types of feeds
Determine yield of animal and its well-being
- Describe the yield of animal according to geographical area
- Describe different types of domesticized animals and their importance.
- Describe how to ensure well-being of domesticized animals
Determine costing of Milk and milk products in a household business
- Describe the process of costing of milk and milk products
- Describe the difference between household business and commercial establishment
Learn window / balcony gardening
- Describe the process of window/balcony gardening
Unit 4 - Food Processing Techniques
Able to prepare food items using safe and appropriate procedure.
- Describe various methods of food preservation (salting, pickling, drying, smoking, preserving in brine water, etc.)
- Describe principles behind basic preservation technique viz. use of high or low temperature, exclusion of air, removal of moisture, use of preservatives, etc.
- Describe importance of maintaining hygiene in cooking area.
Identify the basic characteristics of raw food materials and apply cleaning and sanitation method
- Describe the basic characteristics of raw food materials
- Describe the basic principles and practices involved in cleaning and sanitation in food processing operations
Identify and handle utensils and equipment used in cooking and baking
- Describe the safety precautions to be taken for using utensils and equipment (measuring cups, spoons, knife, cutting board, frying pan, grate, etc.)
Apply appropriate cooking methods for preparation of various culinary
- Describe various methods of wet, dry and combination cooking methods
- Read the names of vegetables, grains, spices, herbs, etc. used in preparation of culinary
Identify food requirements of adolescent male and female
- Describe daily food requirement (nutrient) of adolescent male and female
To demonstrate understanding of information on the packaging label & packaging of food products.
- Describe food label.
- Describe advantages of different food packaging types.
- Describe shelf life and factors affecting shelf life of food items.
Demonstrate the knowledge of methods of identifying adulteration.
- Describe the methods of assessing adulteration.