The course is designed to facilitate learning the essentials of Medical Diagnostics. Design of the course shall aid in developing skills required in planning and executing Laboratory process. Laboratory techniques along with fundamentals of laboratory management shall direct the learning process and will ensure efficient and effective understanding and performance in all spheres of laboratory works.
Part B: Vocational Skills
- Unit 1: Process & Investigations
- Unit 2: Blood Bank & Transfusion
- Unit 3: Cytopathology
Unit 1: Process & Investigations (20 marks)
- Reagents - Preparation and their uses.
- Personnel care and protection Disposal of Bio-Medical waste Smear Making.
- Staining Methods.
- Osmotic fragility test.
- Differential Counts.
- Cellcounts - RBC, WBC, and Platelets Eosinophil & Reticulocyte count ESR.
- LE Cell.
- Haemopoeisis - Erythrocytes Hemoglobin - Estimation Packed Cell Volume, Indices Hematocrit and Red cellindices Anemia.
- Coagulation Factors.
- Coagulation disorders - Bleeding & Clotting Time.
- Bone marrow study.
Unit 2: Blood Bank & Transfusion (15 marks)
- Blood Bank.
- Material & equipment Reagents - preparation Protocols.
- Storage & Preservation.
- Records in Blood bank.
- ABO System.
- Subgroups in ABO System.
- Practical importance of Other blood groups.
- Rh System.
- Antibody titers.
- Blood grouping techniques Problems in blood grouping Donor Motivation.
- Donors election & Registration.
- Blood Collection.
- Storage, Preservation & Processing of blood.
- Quality control.
- Investigation of transfusion, reactions.
- Grouping & cross matching Direct and Indirect Coombs test Mandatory Test.
Unit 3: Cytopathology (15 marks)
- Techniques Equipment & Procedures - FNAC, Imprints smear
- Vaginal & Buccalsmear, Swabs.
- Staining procedure and Mounting.
- Preparation of fluids for Cytological Examination.
- Immunohisto chemistry.