Time: 3 Hours; Marks: 60
1. Transmission of Power: Uses of belts and ropes (without including their materials), pulleys different types of pulleys. Chain drive, its comparison with belt drive. Gear drive, types of gears, simple gear trains and velocity ratio. Description of single plate disc. clutch.
2. Steam Biolers: Coch boiler, Lancashire boiler, Bibcock and Wilcox boiler, Baby Vertical boiler, their mountings and accessories.
3. Turbines: Classification and application of turbines. Elementary study of different types of turbines-construction and working of D' Level and Parson's turbine, pelton wheel, Francis and Kaplan turbine.
4. I.C. Engines and Compressors: Classification and application of I.C. engines commonly used, spark ignition and compression ignition engines, working principles of two stroke and four stroke Petrol and Diesel engines Ignition engines, working principles of two stroke and four stroke Petrol and Diesel engines. Ignition systems in Petrol engines. Construction and working of a simple reciprocating compressors.
5. Material Handling: Brief treatment of bulldozer, shovel, road roller, concrete mixer, crane, travelling gantry crane, screw Jack, hydraulic Jack.