Time: 3 Hours; Marks: 60
Unit–1: Special Moulding and Casting Processes (15)
- Moulding processes with permanent moulds, Die casting processes, basic features of die design, equipment description, selection, pressure die casting, gravity die casting, cast products, protection of dies.
- Centrifugal casting processes – Description of true and semi centrifugal casting products and specific application areas, Centrifuging.
- Shell moulding, Investment casting and other precision casting processes.
Unit–2: Melting and Pouring Practice (10)
- Classification of melting furnaces used in Foundry, Selection of melting furnaces, essential features of a melting furnace, Refractory materials – types, properties and application.
- Cupola melting - Cupola furnace: types of cupola- divided blast, hot blast, oil fired, coke less etc., brief description of design, operation and quality control aspects, charge calculation.
- Furnaces heated by electricity - Resistance, Arc and Induction furnaces various types, brief description and application and merits of each.
- Influence of melting and pouring practice on casting quality, shop floor tests for quality assurance.
- Solidification: Nucleation and growth.
Unit–3: Production Practice for Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals (15)
- Important aspects of foundry practice for castings of Cast irons – grey, malleable and ductile irons, modularizing treatment.
- Steel foundry practice, practice and quality control in moulding, melting and pouring for production of carbon and alloy steel castings, High – manganese and Stainless steel castings, finishing operations and safety aspects.
- Foundry practice for copper and aluminium alloys, melting and pouring practice, degassing and dross removal, precautions required.
Unit–4: Cast Metals Technology (10)
- Solidification of pure metal and alloys. Basic concepts of structure of pure metals, cast metals and alloys, hardness and tensile properties.
- Cast Irons - types, forms of graphite in cast irons, Alloy Cast irons-effect of alloying elements on properties, applications of Cast Iron.
- Cast steels- plain carbon and alloy steels – properties and applications.
- Properties and applications of important cast non-ferrous alloys.
Unit–5: Testing and Quality Assurance in Foundry (10)
- Cleaning of castings: knockout, fettling, shot blasting and grinding of casting components.
- Hardness tests and Tensile tests of castings, Non-destructive tests of castings.
- Casting defects: Causes and remedial measures.