Time: 2.5 Hours; Marks: 50
1. Properties of Materials (5)
- Classification of materials, elastic materials, plastic materials, ductile materials, brittle materials.
- Tensile test, compressive test, impact test, fatigue test, torsion test.
2. Simple Stresses and Strains (10)
- Concept of stress, normal and shear stresses, stresses due to torsion. Concept of strain, strain and deformation, longitudinal and transverse strain, poison’s ratio, volumetric strain.
- Hook’s Law, modulus of elasticity and rigidity, Bulk modulus of elasticity, relationship between the elastic constants.
- Stresses and strains in bars subjected to tension and compression. Extension of uniform bar under its own weight, stress produced in compound bars (two or three) due to axial load.
- Stress-Strain diagram for mild steel, mechanical properties, factor of safety.
- Temperature stresses and strains.
3. Bending Moment and Shear Force (5)
- Concept of a beam and supports (Hinges, Roller and Fixed), types of beam: simply supported, cantilever, fixed and continuous beam.
- Types of loads (point, uniformly distributed and varying loads). Concept of bending moment and shear force, sign conventions.
- Bending Moment and shear force diagrams for cantilever, simply supported subjected to concentrate, uniformly distributed load (simple numerical may be given).
4. Bending and Shear Stresses (5)
- Theory of simple bending with assumptions.
- Application of the equation M/I = F/Y = E/R (No derivation).
- Moment of resistance, sectional modulus and permissible bending stresses in (c5*) circular, rectangular, I, T, and L sections; Concept of shear stresses in beam, shear stress distribution in rectangular, I, and T section (Formula to be stated, no derivation), (simple numerical may be given).
5. Columns (10)
- Theory of columns, Euler’s critical load, empirical design formulae, Rankin’s, formulae.
6. Combined Direct and Bending Stresses (5)
- Concentric and eccentric loads, eccentricity.
- Effect of eccentric load on the section, stresses due to eccentric loads, examples in the case of short columns.
7. Analysis of Trusses (10)
- Concept of a frame, redundant and deficient frame, and supports.
- Analysis of determinate trusses by
- (i) Method of joints.
- (ii) Methods of sections.