Time: 2.5 Hours; Marks: 50
1. Metabolism (18)
Carbohydrates: Definition, functions, classification, Metabolism of carbohydrates, Digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, Citric acid cycle, Hexose Monophosphate shunt, Glycogenolysis, Glycogenesis, Gluconeogenesis, Regulation of Blood Sugar, Diabetes Mellitus, Glycosylated Haemoglobin.
Lipids: Definition, Classification, Importance, General Lipid Metabolism, Digestion Absorption of Fat, Oxidation of Fatty acids, Ketosis, Lipoprotein metabolism classification of lipoprotein, Important lipid profile tests.
Proteins: Aminoacids, peptides and proteins: classification of proteins: Digestion and absorption of proteins, Formation of Urea, Transamination, Deamination, Plasma Protein, Liprotropic factors.
Nucleic Acid Nucleon Proteins: Definitions, Biological role of nucleic acid, nucleoproteins, Purnies and pyrimidines, Formation of Uric Acid.
2. Organ Functions and Enzymology (18)
(a) Organ Functions.
Kidney Functions Test (KFT): General consideration, Evaluation of KFT.
Liver Functions Tests (LFT): Liver functions, investigations of liver functions, uses of liver functions tests.
Pancreatic Function Test: Function of pancreas, pancreatic juice, pancreatic function tests.
Test for Gastric Function: General consideration: Chemical analysis of gastric contents, Clinical Significance, Tubeless gastric analysis.
Tests for Thyroid: Thyroid functions, importance of thyroid functions tests.
Cardiac Profile Test: General consideration, cardiac functions, Ischemic heart diseases, cardiac profile tests.
(b) Enzymes: Definition and Importance, Nomenclature and classification of enzymes. Specific enzymes, factors influencing enzyme activity; coenzymes, clinical enzymology, definition and importance of alkaline phosphatases, acid phosphatases, amylases, Transaminases (GOT, GPT) Lactic dehydrogenase.
3. Applied Clinical Chemistry (14)
- Importance of trace elements.
- Iron Metabolism/General consideration of Importance of Na+, K+, Cl, Ca+ fluoride, magnesium.
- Balanced diet.
- In born errors of metabolism, General Consideration & Clinical importance, Carbohydrate, Protein, Lipid, Nucleic acid Matabolisms, Acid base balance and disturbance of acid base balance, clinical importance.
- Vitamins: General consideration, clinical importance, vitamin deficiencies.
- Introduction, General Mechanism of actions, Hormones of Thyroid Function, Pituitary Functions, Adrenal Functions, Male and Female hormones, function, clinical importance.
- Bile pigment derangements, Clinical Significance, Prehepatic, hepatic and post hepatic jaundice, applications of clinical Laboratory tests to differentiative types of Jaundice.
- Normal and abnormal value of clinical chemistry in relation of human diseases.
- General consideration and interpretations.