Time allowed is 3 hours and Maximum Marks is 70. This question paper contains 27 questions. All questions are compulsory.
Section A : Q. no. 1 to 5 are very short-answer questions and carry 1 mark each. Section B : Q. no. 6 to 12 are short-answer questions and carry 2 marks each. Section C : Q. no. 13 to 24 are also short-answer questions and carry 3 marks each. Section D : Q. no. 25 to 27 are long answer questions and carry 5 marks each.
There is no overall choice. However, an internal choice has been provided in two questions of one mark, two questions of two marks, four questions of three marks and all the three questions of five marks weightage. You have to attempt only one of the choices in such questions.
1. Out of NaCl and AgCl, which one shows Frenkel defect and why ?
2. Arrange the following in increasing order of boiling points :
(CH3)3N, C2H5OH, C2H5NH2
3. Why are medicines more effective in colloidal state ?
What is difference between an emulsion and a gel ?
4. Define ambidient nucleophile with an example.
5. What is the basic structural difference between glucose and fructose ?
Write the products obtained after hydrolysis of lactose.
6. Write balanced chemical equations for the following processes :
Arrange the following in order of property indicated for each set :
7. State Raoult’s law for a solution containing volatile components. Write two characteristics of the solution which obeys Raoult’s law at all concentrations.
8. For a reaction
the proposed mechanism is as given below :
(1) H2O2 + I– → H2O + IO– (slow)
(2) H2O2 + IO–→ H2O + I– + O2 (fast)
9. When MnO2 is fused with KOH in the presence of KNO3 as an oxidizing agent, it gives a dark green compound (A). Compound (A) disproportionates in acidic solution to give purple compound (B). An alkaline solution of compound (B) oxidises KI to compound (C) whereas an acidified solution of compound (B) oxidises KI to (D). Identify (A), (B), (C), and (D).
10. Write IUPAC name of the complex [Pt(en)2Cl2]. Draw structures of geometrical isomers for this complex.
Using IUPAC norms write the formulae for the following :
11. Out of [CoF6]3– and [Co(en)3]3+, which one complex is
(Atomic no. of Co = 27)
12. Write structures of compounds A and B in each of the following reactions :
13. The decomposition of NH3 on platinum surface is zero order reaction. If rate constant (k) is 4 × 10–3 Ms–1, how long will it take to reduce the initial concentration of NH3 from 0.1 M to 0.064 M.
14. (i) What is the role of activated charcoal in gas mask ?
(ii) A colloidal sol is prepared by the given method in figure. What is the charge on hydrated ferric oxide colloidal particles formed in the test tube ? How is the sol represented ?
(iii) How does chemisorption vary with temperature ?
15. An element crystallizes in fcc lattice with a cell edge of 300 pm. The density of the element is 10.8 g cm–3. Calculate the number of atoms in 108 g of the element.
16. A 4% solution(w/w) of sucrose (M = 342 g mol–1) in water has a freezing point of 271.15 K. Calculate the freezing point of 5% glucose (M = 180 g mol–1) in water. (Given : Freezing point of pure water = 273.15 K)
17. (a) Name the method of refining which is
(b) Write chemical reactions taking place in the extraction of copper from Cu2S.
18. Give reasons for the following :
19. Write the structures of monomers used for getting the following polymers :
a homopolymer or copolymer ? Give reason.
(ii) Write the monomers of the following polymer :
(iii) What is the role of Sulphur in vulcanization of rubber ?
20. (i) What type of drug is used in sleeping pills ?
(ii) What type of detergents are used in toothpastes ?
(iii) Why the use of alitame as artificial sweetener is not recommended ?
Define the following terms with a suitable example in each :
21. (i) Out of (CH3)3C–Br and (CH3)3C–I, which one is more reactive towards SN1 and why ?
(ii) Write the product formed when p-nitrochlorobenzene is heated with aqueous NaOH at 443 K followed by acidification.
(iii) Why dextro and laevo – rotatory isomers of Butan-2-ol are difficult to separate by fractional distillation ?
22. An aromatic compound ‘A’ on heating with Br2 and KOH forms a compound ‘B’ of molecular formula C6H7N which on reacting with CHCl3 and alcoholic KOH produces a foul smelling compound ‘C’. Write the structures and IUPAC names of compounds A, B and C.
23. Complete the following reactions :
Write chemical equations for the following reactions :
24. Differentiate between the following :
Write chemical reactions to show that open structure of D-glucose contains the following :
25. E° cell for the given redox reaction is 2.71 V
Mg(s) + Cu2+(0.01 M) → Mg2+(0.001 M) + Cu(s)
Calculate Ecell for the reaction. Write the direction of flow of current when an external opposite potential applied is
(a) A steady current of 2 amperes was passed through two electrolytic cells X and Y connected in series containing electrolytes FeSO4 and ZnSO4 until 2.8 g of Fe deposited at the cathode of cell X. How long did the current flow ? Calculate the mass of Zn deposited at the cathode of cell Y.
(Molar mass : Fe = 56 g mol–1 Zn = 65.3 g mol–1, 1F = 96500 C mol–1)
(b) In the plot of molar conductivity (^m) vs square root of concentration (c1/2), following curves are obtained for two electrolytes A and B :
Answer the following :
26. (a) How do you convert the following :
(b) Write mechanism of the following reaction :
(c) Why phenol undergoes electrophilic substitution more easily than benzene ?
(a) Account for the following :
(b) Write the reaction involved in the following :
(c) Give simple chemical test to distinguish between Ethanol and Phenol.
27. (a) Give reasons for the following :
(b) Write the name of gas released when Cu is added to
(a) (i) Write the disproportionation reaction of H3PO3.
(ii) Draw the structure of XeF4.
(b) Account for the following :
(c) Write a chemical reaction to test sulphur dioxide gas. Write chemical equation involved.